Transportation and Travel Management EIS Phase 1, CO
CLIENT: Pike and San Isabel National Forests
EMPSi is working with the Pike and San Isabel National Forests (PSI) on scoping and Phase 1 of an EIS to evaluate thousands of miles of public road and trail infrastructure across a 2-million-acre decision area. We are integrated the forest's extensive GIS data to create a range of alternatives for road and trail systems, and used this information to develop presentation materials and maps for use in public meetings and a project-specific website. These outreach efforts were uniformly praised for their excellence in making data available to the public and for the clarity of presentation materials.
The public expressed significant interest in how the PSI would manage their road and trail infrastructure, and submitted thousands of comments on issues such as motor vehicle recreation and off-highway vehicle use, socioeconomic effects to surrounding communities, route maintenance, and potential impacts to wildlife and non-motorized recreation. We are working closely with PSI roads engineering staff to integrate this information into Chapters 1 and 2 of the draft EIS. Phase 1 of the project should be successfully completed by fall of 2017.
- Includes two National Forests covering more than 2 million acres in the Rocky Mountains of central Colorado
- Evaluating thousands of miles of public road and trail infrastructure
- Detailed GIS analyses of transportation data
- Complex and controversial project with extensive public involvement
- Developed standalone project website and presentation materials that have received consistent praise from agencies and the public